Development Test (or DevTest in short) is a basic testing environment that contains a bunch of things to test the engine, but it could also be used as a minimal testbed for testing out mods. This is for developers, not for players.
- Basic nodes for mapgen
- Basic, minimal map generator
- Lots of example nodes for testing drawtypes, param2, light level, and many other node properties
- Example entities
- Other example items
- Formspec test (via
- Automated unit tests (disabled by default)
- Tools for manipulating nodes and entities, like the "Param2 Tool"
Basically, just create a world and start. A few important things to note:
- Items are gotten from the “Chest of Everything” (
chest_of_everything:chest) or “Bag of Everything” (
- When you lost your initial items, type in
/stuffcommand to get them back
- By default, Creative Mode activates infinite node placement. This behavior can be changed with the
- Use the
/infplacecommand to toggle infinite node placement in-game
- Use the Param2 Tool to change the param2 of nodes; it's useful to experiment with the various drawtype test nodes
- Check out the game settings and server commands for additional tests and features
Confused by a certain node or item? Check out for inline code comments. The usages of most tools are explained in their tooltips.
- You can use this to test what happens if a player is simultaneously in 2 nodes with
damage_per_secondbut with a different value.
- Or use the Falling Node Tool on various test nodes to see how they behave when falling.
- You could also use this as a testbed for dependency-free mods, e.g. to test out how your formspecs behave without theming.
The source code of DevTest is included in the Minetest repository and can be found here.