I had a blast with this game... when it worked. I played on 5.5.1 to have the compass work, and I have to say this concept is really fun and clever to me! Coupled with its many riddles and puzzles, this is a novel experience that I hope will see more polish going forward. The way the rooms change layout is smooth, and each one can be entered from different directions (nice touch).
The riddles were pretty hard to figure out on my own, I had to resort to asking for solutions and ultimately giving up, oof. I think the main menu music is too loud compared to the in-game sound.
I recommend this since I had fun, but the experience was soured by the crashes. Definitely check it out post-Jam!
1) Rarely, nothing generates in the space where there should be a room.
2) This crash happens randomly when entering and exiting rooms; it also happened when I was trying to run in circle clockwise:
2022-11-25 10:13:51: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'piranesi' in callback node_on_timer(): ...etest-5.5.1/bin/../games/piranesi/mods/piranesi/init.lua:102: attempt to concatenate local 'file' (a nil value)
2022-11-25 10:13:51: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2022-11-25 10:13:51: ERROR[Main]: ...etest-5.5.1/bin/../games/piranesi/mods/piranesi/init.lua:102: in function 'place_room'
2022-11-25 10:13:51: ERROR[Main]: ...etest-5.5.1/bin/../games/piranesi/mods/piranesi/init.lua:379: in function <...etest-5.5.1/bin/../games/piranesi/mods/piranesi/init.lua:360>
2022-11-25 10:13:51: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players:
2022-11-25 10:13:51: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
3) The fire spreads and destroys the map in certain rooms, making you fall through the void.
4) The gears puzzle in the boiler room isn't solvable the way it was meant to, because it's too dark to see the colors of the wool at the base of ceiling pipes (unless you turn up the gamma, maybe).
5) Corridors can sometimes generate the wrong way, blocking your path.