A game about exploring uncanny, vaguely unsettling, liminal spaces. The goal is to explore, be lost, wander. Can you find all the levels?
Known to work for 5.6.1, and 5.4 other versions unknown.
For manual install, place in your .minetest/games/ folder (inside a folder called "backroomtest" or something)
Keep in mind, this isn't a game in the usual sense, as there isn't much in the way of progression, you can't build, mine, collect items, or anything else you would normally do and this is intentional. It's meant to mimic some of the backrooms found footage videos and other stories various people have created, and so typical game features like digging and building wouldn't work at all. The player needs to be helpless and lost.
Basically, what would it be like if you no-clipped into the backrooms? What would your journey be like?
Temporary server at
There's also a discord server here: https://discord.gg/KGZJBKkcFm
To create liminal spaces that are familiar yet disconcerting for the player to be trapped in and explore.
Although inspiration is taken from various stories others have created, it isn't based on any particular canon, and so levels and features present on whatever wiki / video / etc can be added or not freely. It is its own canon.
- several more levels
- more reason to explore
- more sounds, triggers, biomes
- some "outdoor" levels maybe (streetscapes etc)
- entities will only be benign or at least so incredibly rare that they are a distant, vague threat, and should be easily escapable yet terrifying
- a way to track which levels you've visited and a special achievement for if you visit all of them
What it isn't
- a horror game
- a survival game
- a simulation
Features it will never have
- survival mechanics, hunger, thirst, etc (would be in a separate mod for this game)
- entities or mobs (separate mod)
- a way "out" obviously
Rough idea of the "canon"
- similar to the original concept, some of Kane Pixels's work, some of various wikis but not the cringe/SCP stuff.
- grey portal doors move you around the level randomly
- red ones take you to a random level; could be level 0 or 99 who knows
- purple doors take you to the sequentially next level (level 0, 1, 2 etc)
- there are no entities or mobs of any kind
- yes you did hear something following you :)
- use /level to get a list of levels, and (cheats) you can also put a number /level 1 to go to that level