MineClone 2 is a survival sandbox game that is still a work in progress. Survive, gather, hunt, mine for ores, build houses, explore, and do much more. The goal of this project is to create a free clone (or imitation) of Minecraft.
You start in a randomly-generated world made entirely of cubes. You can explore the world and dig and build almost every block in the world to create new structures. You can choose to play in a “survival mode” in which you have to fight monsters and hunger for survival and slowly progress through the various other aspects of the game, such as mining, farming, building machines, and so on Or you can play in “creative mode” in which you can build almost anything instantly.
- Sandbox-style gameplay, no goals
- Survive: Fight against hostile monsters and hunger
- Mine for ores and other treasures
- Magic: Gain experience and enchant your tools
- Use the collected blocks to create great buildings, your imagination is the limit
- Collect flowers (and other dye sources) and colorize your world
- Find some seeds and start farming
- Find or craft one of hundreds of items
- Build a railway system and have fun with minecarts
- Build complex machines with redstone circuits
- In creative mode you can build almost anything for free and without limits
How to play (quick start)
- Punch a tree trunk until it breaks and collect wood
- Place the wood into the 2×2 grid (your “crafting grid” in your inventory menu and craft 4 wood planks
- Place the 4 wood planks in a 2×2 shape in the crafting grid to make a crafting table
- Rightclick the crafting table for a 3×3 crafting grid to craft more complex things
- Use the crafting guide (book icon) to learn all the possible crafting recipes
- Craft a wooden pickaxe so you can dig stone
- Different tools break different kinds of blocks. Try them out!
- Continue playing as you wish. Have fun!
- Find seeds
- Craft hoe
- Rightclick dirt or similar block with hoe to create farmland
- Place seeds on farmland and watch them grow
- Collect plant when fully grown
- If near water, farmland becomes wet and speeds up growth
- Craft furnace
- Furnace allows you to obtain more items
- Upper slot must contain a smeltable item (example: iron ore)
- Lower slot must contain a fuel item (example: coal)
- See tooltips in crafting guide to learn about fuels and smeltable items
More help about the gameplay, blocks items and much more can be found from inside the game. You can access the help from your inventory menu.
The following items are interesting for Creative Mode and for adventure map builders. They can not be obtained in-game or in the creative inventory.
/giveme chat command to obtain them. See the in-game help for
The main goal of MineClone 2 is to be a clone of Minecraft and to be released as free software.
- Cloning the gameplay has highest priority
- MineClone 2 will use different assets, but with a similar style
- Limitations found in Minetest will be documented in the course of development
- The version target of 1.12 is a thing of the past. There is currently no particular mc target version.
The mcl family consists besides mcl2 of these projects:
- MineClone5 https://git.minetest.land/MineClone5/MineClone5. Mcl5 aims to always deliver the newsest features. Don't expect the most stable experience but it is generally playable well enough that there is a quite popular server running it. (kay27 and others)
- Mineclonia is the antithesis to mcl5: It's primary goals are stability and performance. (erlehmann, Li0n and others)
This game is currently in beta stage. It is playable, but not yet feature-complete. Backwards-compability is not entirely guaranteed, updating your world might cause small bugs. If you want to use the git version of MineClone2 the master branch is generally considered stable (if less tested than the release version).
Switching worlds between MineClone2 and Mineclonia should generally work fine (except for unknown nodes if a node is not in Mineclonia yet).
Worlds from MineClone5 are reported to have problems sometimes in both MineClone2 and Mineclonia.
The following main features are available:
- Tools, weapons
- Crafting system: 2×2 grid, crafting table (3×3 grid), furnace, including a crafting guide
- Chests, large chests, ender chests, shulker boxes
- Furnaces, hoppers
- Most monsters and animals
- All ores from Minecraft
- Most blocks in the overworld
- Water and lava
- 28 biomes
- The Nether, a fiery underworld in another dimension
- Redstone circuits (partially)
- Minecarts (partial)
- Status effects (partial)
- Brewing, potions, tipped arrow (partial)
- Buidling blocks: Stairs, slabs, doors, trapdoors, fences, fence gates, walls
- Slime block
- Small plants and saplings
- Deco blocks: Glass, stained glass, glass panes, iron bars, hardened clay (and colors), heads and more
- Item frames
- Inventory menu
- Creative inventory
- Writable books
- The End
- And more!
The following features are incomplete:
- Some monsters and animals
- Redstone-related things
- Special minecarts
- A couple of non-trivial blocks and items
Bonus features (not found in Minecraft):
- Built-in crafting guide which shows you crafting and smelting recipes
- In-game help system containing extensive help about gameplay basics, blocks, items and more
- Temporary crafting recipes. They only exist to make some otherwise unaccessible items available when you're not in creative mode. These recipes will be removed as development goes on an more features become available
- Saplings in chests in mapgen v6
- Fully moddable (thanks to Minetest's powerful Lua API)
- New blocks and items:
- Lookup tool, shows you the help for whatever it touches
- More slabs and stairs
- Nether Brick Fence Gate
- Red Nether Brick Fence
- Red Nether Brick Fence Gate
Technical differences from Minecraft:
- Height limit of ca. 31000 blocks (much higher than in Minecraft)
- Horizontal world size is ca. 62000×62000 blocks (much smaller than in Minecraft, but it is still very large)
- Still very incomplete and buggy
- Blocks, items, enemies and other features are missing
- A few items have slightly different names to make them easier to distinguish
- Different music for jukebox
- Different textures (Pixel Perfection)
- Different sounds (various sources)
- Different engine (Minetest)
- Different easter eggs
… and finally, MineClone 2 is free software (“free” as in “freedom”)!
The best Minecraft alternative!
The game is really very advanced and it is a lot of fun to develop the game and to write mods for it. I am always looking forward to new versions!
I absolutely love this game. Its so close to minecraft that I can just use minecraft tutorials for it. There are a few discrepancies (soul sand not pushing you up in water and observer refresh time), but other than that a perfect clone of minecraft. Thank you so much for making!
The Highest quality game for Minetest
Love it, the mobs, the enviorment, this is the closest that you will get to turning Minetest into Minecraft. I do have one issue in every world that i make, when i create a nether portal and enter the entire place is burried no mobs no lava no nothin just netherack or however it's called. Is there an option in the wold creating menu that i have to activate to fix this issue?
Better than Minecraft
I love this game and play it a lot with my friends. But I have some improvement ideas. Please implement the following things: - raids like in Minecraft - minecraft pillager outpost - iron golem - gui like in minetest, where you can teleport yourself directly to your home position - locked chests and doors
I donated a lot to this beautiful game. I hope you can improve it more. Thank you! Your sincerely muffin_kanone.
A suitable copy for minecraft version 1.12
Suitable breed for minecraft version 1.12. Always loved this version
This game is nice. If you don't want to buy Minecraft license you can play this game it is like minecraft 1.12.
MineClone 2 is one of the best Minetest engine games I know.
It implements the mechanics from Minecraft as accurately as possible. It's fun to play with friends as well as in Minecraft. But the coolest thing is that MineClone 2 can be easily customized to suit your needs (if you have the right skill, of course). In general, this is a plus of the engine itself, but without games like MineClone 2, it wouldn't be so cool. The game still needs bug fixes, but in general it is already possible (and necessary) to play. I wish the developers good luck in the further development of the project!
This Game is more than just a "clone"
This game is not just any replica or clone of Minecraft. See in this developers can use their creativity without limits, as this is free for everyone, people who are not willing to purchase Minecraft or are not sure that what it will be like, they can always look up to this game as it is one the best games which replicates Minecraft. And it not just stops at replication, this game also adds bonus features which Minecraft does not provides, this really makes a difference. In MInecraft if some new update is there and we don't want some of it's parts then we cannot do anything than just ignoring it or get irritated, but here we can actually remove it from accessing the files which is very easy, we can easily remove that part which we disagree to be part of the game. In short "This game is a Game changer" not just any clone, thank you for provding us this game
An outstanding Minecraft spin off!
Great work on this game, especially this latest update, the implementation of so many new structures and biomes must have taken a lot of time. I do however have a couple questions, is their anyway to keep parrots on your arm? They sit on my shoulder for a couple seconds then when i move they randomly hop off. Also, would you consider make Mangrove forests a bit less dense? They look & feel very crowded, but you did a great job adding them in.
10/10 install this
Love what they did here
Excellent clone of minecraft. I just wish mods were easy to find for this.
Opensource Minecraft Alternitive
Playing this game feels like playing Minecraft pre-Microsoft. If it can survive legal battles, I'd expect it to be even better than Minecraft is.
"But we have Minecraft at home!"
It's not 100% like Minecraft, and nobody should expect that. Gameplay is significantly enriched over, say, Minetest Game, and I like MineClone 2 more than Minecraft because it provides a full experience, but is trivial to set up (download it in the browser). There's apparently a way to get a minimap with an item, but one thing I would change is the ability to just enable it or not in a menu. The cool thing is it's fairly trivial to make change like this, which I count as a plus over Minecraft.
If you like Minecraft's play style, this is a great alternative. It isn't 1:1, but it's definitely one of the best games on MineTest, with plenty of good reason.
Exellent minecraft like exprience in minetest!
extreamly good alt for minecraft
This is an extreamly good alternate for minecraft even if it is missing a few fetures .
Nice recreation of Minecraft before it become bloated with feature
I appreciate playing this game.
The best game for Minetest. And with the future version 0.72, this game will begins to be modder friendly. Great.
Best alternative to minecraft
Wow, which cool game. The best minecraft alternative! Now with the 0.69.0 update come xp which make this game better then it is! Really really cool!
Absolutely worthy of at least a try
I registered here and on forums just to write this comment. You are doing an amasing job with this mod! It feels so fluent what i even forgot about a different menus and keybindings and lowkey enjoy it. This game grasps the feel of Minecraft wery well. Although i only play survival here, i still love it with all my heart. Keep up the outstanding work.
Very polished game
Probably the best free MineCraft clone available for Minetest (only notable contestant is Crafter).
Wow! So good.
So many recent updates. It really is very good. I'm having a great time.
Genuinely Impressive Minecraft Recreation
Honestly it is only missing a few features and of course copyrighted media such as textures and sounds. MineClone 2 is overall a pretty close recreation of the official Minecraft.
Most excellent imitation of Minecraft.
the best minecraft clone we don't deserve
seriously, stop reading reviews and play the game it is worth your time trust me
A Good Clone
When it comes to capturing the feel of Minecraft, Mineclone2 gets the job done. It is quite enjoyable to play.
Please improve some stuff
I was playing mineclone because I love minecraft building creations and displaying them but as soon as I summoned the villager it went outside his home at night and went far away it did not sleep like it should as in minecraft and please add the beacon to the game, I miss making laset gates and not to forget could you improve the sweet beries so that they can be planted as well as they can be eaten. ANd yes please add the left hand slot for shields and fireworks. I would love if you implemnt these things in Mineclone
It is very good, even in the start.
Does wool blocks sound? if no add in this feature
Some plants don't move with the shaders activated, and there isn't a sound for when you are rowing in the boat. Maybe those things are gonna be fixed/added, but anyways, I said it. however, the game is almost perfect.
you can do a lot of the stuff you can do in minecraft. A few bits are not completed yet, and spawning of animals and mobs is quite frequent. Especially watch out for skeletons, in the latest update they are more acurate and agressive with their arrows. There are lots of abandoned mines, other interesting things like underwater houses and shipwrecks. the jumping magma blocks in the nether are deadly. there's lots of things to do in survival mode. It's not complete, although you can get to the end zone through the end portal, once you've found it. There are things you can't use like honey, sugar on it's own, and copper has one use (lightning rod), but it is quite enjoyable. I've spent many hours exploring, building houses and mines, and am currently experimenting with redstone items. more information and examples (separate to looking up minecraft info) would be nice; but there is an in-game crafting help which is handy. having persistant animals is nice and an improvement on hamlets quest.
Super experience !!
I'm new to this game (never played minecraft but already try "survivetest" from DuckGo) and i found it very nice, quite difficult for newbies like me XD (baby zombie and skeleton archer => i want to crushed tham Rrrrrr LoL) I'm playing it with my son and yesterday we tried to find the ender dragon ... sadly, it never appears in "the end (world)" ; his violet life bar disappear few seconds after we dig out to the surface ;-( We will try later anyway. Other bug that it's already known : baby animal go trought wall and sometimes when "pop" to adult age, stay locked in air => So almost impossible to grow more animal (i wanted lamp of many colors but it's quite a hard work) Thank you for this wonderful game !!!
Despite the large number of defects of unfinished objects - a very well-deserved top
The game is accurate enough to Minecraft
Mineclone is quite a amazing game that can act like minecraft. I love how everything is similiar to it. But the problem i havee with it is about the mobs maybe they have to work more on mobs making their own api or something. Because mobs never tend to have enough intelligence. Also they spawn in wrong conditions in some cases like a trapped area like trees. They have to spawn in a much more different and efficent way. Other than that everything appears and does things same to minecraft 1.12
Needs more bug fixes
I am only interested in the game when its on peaceful mode. I'd like it better if I could disable certain mobs.
The minecart is so buggy, it keeps going off the rails randomly. Otherwise I don't notice many glitches.
I hope the minecart with storage gets added soon, impossible to do a lot of mining when I can't carry everything with me.
Alguien me dice el mod que hace que las armas y herramientas se vean mas grandes?
Alguien me dice el mod que hace que las armas y herramientas se vean mas grandes?
Help! Account Confirmation E-Mail Never Arrives for Codebase (Good Minecraft Alternative, Though)!
I really am looking to get onto the git repository by the way. If someone could send it manually, that would be awesome. Thanks.
I do not agree to Microsoft's terms of service for an Xbox account, and that's separated me from my family in terms of a game that's been with me for a long time. It's got a long way to go, but thank you.
Thumbs up from a noob
Registered here just to say this looks and plays great.
Already has about half of 1.20
It isn't a perfect clone, but it's better than Minecraft with its chat reporting feature. I do hope that it switches to a more modern mob API in the near future though.
i rate this game : gock/10
get a screenshot of my house https://imgur.com/a/E7IZDQb
El Mejor juego de Minetest
Muchos piensan que es como Minecraft, pero es mucho mejor.
MineClone es Software Libre y eso permitira a todos extenderlo, con mods que Minecraft solo pudo soñar.
Para hacer mods en Minecraft hizo falta que unos hackers crearan herramientas externas como Forge. Para hacer mods en MineClone tienes miles de herramientas disponibles y APIs. Todo lo que imagines lo podras hacer ;D
It's a really fun game that keeps you entertained for hours, but I've noticed that my hunger bar doesn't go down no matter how many hours I'm playing. Is the original game like this or is it a bug?
The best minecraft *clone* for the open source game minetest
When u like minecraft and want the environment and feeling of his big brother (minecraft) u should try out this (sub-)game. This (sub-)game is for beginner(s) the best choice.
heres some request for updates
-update nether(fortress,bastion,piglin,hoglin,etc. -PLS put more animals in the game(pandas,fox,bees) -put a new ore(not necessary netherite -update villagers and put raids(ravager and illager) -put crossbow and trident in the game -make shulker box alble to stcik at walls and thats all i had in mind thx :)
can you upgrape mineclone 2 like minecraft version 1.17.1